Fertile City is believed to have been located in Christy Township, west of Sumner on the B&O RR line. It was later known as Hadley. Nothing is there now.
However, in the American Banner, published May 3, 1856, listed the names of delinquent taxpayers owning lots in Fertile City. William Laws Jr; Marion Perry; Wm Laws Sen.; Thomas Spiller; Linsy Laws; J. T. Dollahan; Mary Right; Willis Utterback; Lewis M. Laws; Jr, Alfred Laws; John Davis, Sen; and John W. Miller.