|Edwin F. Schrader|
Currently on exhibit at the History Center is an enlarged photo of the Lawrence County WWII Honor Roll sign that stood on the Courthouse lawn near the flag pole, prior to the memorial that is there now.
Proposed originally by the Kiwanis Club, the American Legion took over the project of creating an Honor Roll. Deciding against painting the names on the wall of a business building, a temporary memorial in the form of a wooden sign was erected during WWII. There was space for 2,400 names because at that time, there were already 2,000 men and women from the County in the armed forces. The names were painted in letters one inch high and space was left for additional names as more men were called for duty.
L. E. Cook was named head of the committee to list the names of all men and women in service and R. R. Rucker was selected as chairman of the publicity committee. This temporary honor roll was to cost about $1,000 but excess funds raised would be invested in war bonds and when the final chapter of the war was written, the bonds would be cashed to erect a permanent memorial.
Members of the committee were Chairman Philip Lewis, Charles Zipprodt, William Cunningham, John McGaughey, M. J. Lewis, Lester Brothers, and two Bridgeport members, Verd French and Lee Jenkins Bad weather had hampered the work on the board but the Legion hoped to have all the names painted, and decorations planned for the top and side panels in time for the dedication Memorial Day 1944.
|WWII Memorial 2014|