Business News July 1920
W.F. Cunningham, C. H. Greengrove, J. A. Balding, F. A. Smith, and Henry Bopp increased the price of their meals to 50¢ with a regular lunch costing 35¢; this was due to the continued higher prices on all food items.
J. E. Sursa took over the meat market in G. P. Seitzinger’s grocery store.
Staver’s 5 and 10 Cent store in Lawrenceville had been in business 6 years. No location was given.
|1909 Telephone Company Building|
East side of Square
A. L. Maxwell, at that time, also owned the A. L. Maxwell Motor Company, the Wabash Valley Motor Company, the Ice Company, Laundry, and the A. L. Maxwell Farms. It was noted in the paper that he had just purchased a group insurance policy protecting each employee who worked for him to the extent of $1000.
W. C. Glener opened a repair shop for automobiles at Billett. He has 9 years of experience.
The City Meat Market, Henry Woods, Proprietor, advertised meat for threshers-- juicy roasts, steaks and prepared meats of all kinds. No dinner for threshers was compete without a plentiful supply of meats for the hungry men, his advertisement stated.
K. W. Davis purchased the Wm Tracy grocery on South 12th Street. Mr. Tracy planned to move to Florida because of his health. Mr. Davis was an experienced grocery man having worked for C. D. Cochran & Son and also for Guy Mills.
All kinds of summer apples were sold at the apple store corner of State and 13th street. Prices were from $2.00 to $2.50 per bushel. Small quantities at 5-6 cents a pound. J. J. Smith was the local manager of Cincinnati Orchards Co.
H. A. Lacey who had been visiting his children in Frankfort, Indiana, returned to Lawrenceville and resumed his work repairing shoes at his residence 1722 South 12th Street.
The Stephens Hat shop located on the east side of the square planned to enlarge their business.
Perry Richmond and his sister, Mrs. Minnie Couch, are operating a new bakery in South Lawrenceville.
Work was progressing nicely on the new $150,000 hotel, Hotel Lawrence, and indications were that it would be ready for occupancy by September 1. The first four floors contained some 50 rooms and the fifth floor had been leased by the Indian Refining Co. The building was well built, fireproof, sanitary, and modern in every respect, equipped with up-to-date elevators and appliances for the convenience of the public.
H. O. Stout bought the May business block for $5000. He also purchased the Old Star Store Building. This was formerly occupied by Petty Bros General Merchandise store.