Monday, July 27, 2020

Accidents and Fires 1920

July 1920:

Mrs. J.E. Killion and Ms. Lucille Gordon were struck by an automobile at the corner of State and 11th Streets in Lawrenceville and dragged for a distance 15 feet before the car could be stopped.  Mrs. Killion suffered a number of severe bruises about the head and body, but no bones were broken.  The Gordon girl escaped with a slight bruise on one foot.  The women were crossing State Street and the car was coming from the west.  The driver, Lum Crawford was driving at a slow rate of speed and made no attempt to use his brakes but turned the car into the silent policeman to stop it.  The women were picked up and carried to the office of Dr. Petty where their injuries were given attention.  Wednesday morning Mrs. Killion complained of severe pains in various parts for body and her injuries may prove more serious than anticipated.  (If you want to know more about the silent policeman traffic device, you can see a photo here.

While returning from church at East Pinkstaff, Mrs. Elma Devin and children had a narrow escape. The horse ran onto an embankment, turning the buggy over and dragging them for some distance.
P. W. McKelfresh from Sumner and his mother, Mrs. David McKelfresh, his brother Fred and wife were thrown from his automobile when it ran off the east side of the South Slough bridge turning over on its top.  Mrs. Fred McKelfresh sustained some broken ribs.

Four carpenters were more or less, as the paper stated, injured when a scaffold on which they were standing gave way and they fell to the ground, a distance of 15 feet.  The men were shingling a house for Noble Downey on south 11th street, Lawrenceville, and their combined weight was more than the scaffold would sustain.  Harvey Organ suffered a fracture of the left elbow, Jesse J. Poole severe bruises of the right elbow and left shin by being hit by a 2x4 and G. W. Atkins a severe shaking up(actually he was knocked unconscious according to the Sumner Press.) W. H. Paullins was just skinned up a little. The men all lived in Sumner. 

Mr. and Mrs. Roy Wood were returning from Bridgeport in a roadster, when in making the turn south of the Skaggs place, the brake failed to work and the machine turned turtle,(that’s what it said in the newspaper) slightly injuring Mrs. Wood, breaking a spring, smashing the windshield and otherwise damaging the car.

F. C. Knoeer got his nose broken while shoeing a horse.

 The summer kitchen and smoke house of Wm. Benson was discovered on fire and before help could be summoned, the fire had spread to the house which was totally destroyed together with its contents.  The family was absent at the time.  Besides losing all their clothing and furniture, they also lost about $50 worth of meat, $60 worth of lard and almost a barrel of flour.  The next week the newspaper reported that Ed Hutchinson began building a new home for Wm Benson to replace the one  destroyed by fire.

While baling straw on the Stansfield farm some straw caught fire from the exhaust of the tractor furnishing the power, and spread so rapidly that it could not be controlled. The tractor was badly damaged and seventy bales of straw destroyed.  By hard work, the baler was saved.

Lightning struck a barn belonging to O. W. Howerton, east of Lawrenceville, and totally destroyed it together with two cows, one mule and farming implements.  The loss was a heavy one and was not covered by insurance.