On Memorial Day, one hundred years ago, May, 1920, a flag stood over the graves in Lawrenceville Cemetery of every man who had served our country. A large quantity of flowers was collected and then placed on these graves by a band of small children during the town- wide ceremonies. There was a memorial in front of the courthouse bearing the names of the men from this county who gave their lives in the late war (WWI), some of whose graves are beyond the seas where they fell in the discharge of their duties.
Flower bouquets were brought to the courthouse where they were cared for properly until they were placed on the graves. There was a parade from the courthouse led by the color guard, a band, the GAR (Grand Army of the Republic) members in motor cars, then the Spanish War veterans and American Legion members followed by the children. All were invited to attend.