C. D. Stoltz resigned as Lawrenceville Chief of Police and W. H. Kyger was appointed to fill the vacancy. Mr. Stoltz left for Hunter, Arkansas, where he was to be in charge of a saw mill and lumber yard.
Rev. G. W. Shepherd tendered his resignation as Mayor of the City of Sumner effective April 6, 1920. Altermen at that time were Early Beadle, D. W. Baker, J. D. Spitler, I. M. Hillis, and Mac Pepple.
The County Supervisors gave $1500 for a Farm Advisor and allowed a room in the court house to be used as an office by the newly organized Farm Bureau.
Grand jurors for the May term were: Allison- Sam Haines, P. A. Loften. Bond- Edward McCarty, John Malcom. Bridgeport- Josiah Nell, and John McGuire. Christy- E. C. Propes, E. D. Staats, Everett Gregg. Denison- John Ridgley, Thomas Easterday, Thomas Gillespie. Lawrence- Wm. Darnold, H. H. Hicks, Isaac Noe. Lukin- Sam Moore, Wm. Milligan, Josh King. Petty- S. N. Hobbs, Geo. W. Trueblood, Albert Westall. Russell- W. S. McCarty, Reuben Solinger.
Employees in the County Tax Collector’s office were Mrs. Florence Cooper, Mrs. Emerson Caudle, Miss Reba Maxwell and J. P. Martin.
J. A. Wood was added to the list of carriers at the Lawrenceville Post Office. He was to be in charge of all parcel post packages for local delivery, which would lighten the work of the three city carriers.
Attorney Byron Sumner sued the city of Sumner for back salary as the city attorney. The Sumner City Council reduced his salary from $10 to $5 a month. He won and the city appealed.
For the six months from September to February, 1920, it cost the Lawrence County taxpayers $12,813.33 to clothe and feed the paupers of the county, $2,200.70 to keep them warm and $3,812.35 to keep them well for a six- month total expenditure of $18,826.38. For the same six months, $513.46 worth of coal was burned at the court house and jail.
|Easter Sunday 1915|
L-R Front row
H McGaughey, N Chamness, E Gillespie
Back row H Highsmith, B Lesseig,
M Mendenhall, M Bower, G Hill, and P Grow.
Warner and Gray Bros were undertakers in Lawrenceville. M. L. Warner was the embalmer.
George D. Piper sold his tailoring shop in the Wagner building in Sumner to Willie and Harry Piper.
Roy E. Neal, florist, offered green carnations for St. Patrick’s Day.
Dowels Florist on 1525 W. Lexington, Lawrenceville, advertised special Easter bouquets and baskets, Easter boxes and corsages.
C. W. Conour sold his feed grain business in Sumner to Otis Klingler.
Johnson Auto Company, located on Jefferson Avenue just east of 12th S, Lawrenceville, received eleven new Buicks driven from the factory at Flint, Michigan. Among the drivers were Mac Kingery, Joe Lingenfelter and Perry Lewis.
Mrs. Pearl Yelch, located over the City Cigar Store, west side of square, was going out-of-business. All wallpaper was on sale for 15 cents a roll.
And finally, Lawrenceville barbers agreed to raise the price of hair cuts and shaves effective April 1, 1920. It would cost 25 cents to get your whiskers amputated and 50 cents to have your hair trimmed.