News published January 7 and 8, 1920 Lawrence County News and Lawrenceville Republican
The Board of Supervisors decided at their monthly meeting to locate a water well on the south side of the court house to supply water inside the building instead of in the front lawn. Undertakers were allowed $60 for the burial of paupers.
Ellsworth Lewis, 15- year old son of Mr. and Mrs. E. S. Lewis, was arrested Monday by Sheriff Stivers and held on a charge of forgery. Young Lewis bought a cap at the Young Men’s Shop and tendered a $5 check in payment. The check bore the name of L. F. Staver and Mr. Yosowitz gave the boy the change. Later the check proved be to a forgery and Lewis was arrested. He admitted his guilt. “Business men should be wary about accepting checks from children,” said Sheriff Stivers. The following week he was tried by Judge Fish and sent to the Industrial School for Boys at St. Charles.
Lawrenceville City Council: Mayor Faust read letter from a canning factory seeking a location, but after due consideration the proposition was rejected. A letter from the Brown Shoe Co stating that a branch factory was contemplated in Lawrenceville was read. R. J. Benefiel was appointed city engineer.
Students who were home for the Christmas holidays:
Miss Pearl Young returned to school at Champaign; Chester Fearheiley returned to Chicago to resume his electrical studies; Charley Stoll was studying at Eureka College; William Loftus returned to Yale; Chandler Armstrong, returned to military school at Staunton Virginia.; Janette Nunn was attending Bradley Polytechnic; Edmund Smith returned to Alton to continue his studies at Western Military Academy; Wm. Borough returned to U of I; Lucille Lingenfelter, Aletha, and Lucille Hedden returned to Eureka; Helen McGaughey was attending school at Madison, Wis; and John McGaughey attended school at Beloit, Wisc.; Dr. Clarence Brunson left for Kirksville, Missouri, where he was taking a post-graduate course, Ralph Armitage and Loren Foreman returned to continue their studies at Northwestern University; Miss Rheu Hill was attending school at Wooster, Ohio; Miss Juanita Imus returned to Buena Vista, Virginia, where she was attending Southern Seminary; Misses Margaret Keller and Lucia Andrews returned to Wooster, Ohio, where they attended school, Rex Smith was attending art school in Kalamazoo, Michigan; Miss Mabel Whiteside returned to her school work in Eldorado; Miss Donna Smith was attending school at Oxford, Ohio; and Virgil Potts of lower Denison returned to Champaign to resume his studies.
Charles Mortz published notice to Calla Mortz that he would have Duerl Mortz and Earl Mortz, both children, declared dependent and to take guardianship and custody of them away from her if she didn’t appear and defend herself in circuit court.
Clyde Vanwey and Milton Barthelemy of St. Francisville each purchased a new Republic truck.
The Wabash River was frozen over at Russellville and the ferry cold not operate.
Four members of Piper family were killed when struck by train in Sumner. This story was posted earlier in 2016 on this blog.
Obituary of Edmund Gillespie
Born July 7, 1836, in Denison Township, the eldest son of Walter and Cynthia Ann Gillespie, Edmund Kennady Gillespie died January 5, 1920 from a paralytic stroke being 62 years, 5 months, and 22 days old. He married Harriet Mason, December 25, 1861, who died on New Year’s Day, 1892. Edmund was the father of five children, Dora and Nora, twins born in 1862 and died in infancy. Rosa was born in 1867 and Lizzie in 1869 both also dying in infancy. James Walter, his only son and living child, was with his father, at his death. Internment was in Zion Cemetery.
A. A. Correll and Dexter A. Legg of the Correll Shop advertised that they had sent Fred Correll to learn to repair the automotive self- starting and lighting system on Ford cars. So, in addition to horseshoeing and common ordinary blacksmithing jobs, they would also do Ford repairs. Ed note: C F Correll opened his blacksmith business in the 1860s; his descendants continued the business at Chauncey.
Dr. Chas. P. Gore sold his office furniture, fixtures and supplies, and his practice to Drs. Tom Kirkwood and R. R.Trueblood to go south with his family for their health. Dr. Tom Kirkwood rented the rooms over the News Office on West State Street and moved his office furniture and equipment there. He and Dr. R. R. Trueblood later advertised that they would sell a fire proof safe, a roll- top office desk, an electric ceiling fan, 1 operating chair, and a medical library presumably belonging to Dr Gore.