Monday, July 10, 2017

Dr. Andrew Jackson Haughton

Obituary of Dr. Andrew Jackson Haughton Thursday, February 13, 1890 Vincennes Daily Commercial  
    Andrew Jackson Haughton died at his residence near Russellville, Illinois on the 25th day of January, 1890, after a lingering illness and was buried on Sunday, January 26 in the cemetery at Oaktown, Indiana. The funeral services were held in the Christian Church at Oaktown.
    Haughton was born in Brighton, Monroe County, New York, on November 12, 1828, being a descendant both on the paternal and maternal side of Puritan stock. He was the eldest son of Hiram and Elizabeth Potter Haughton who shortly after he was born, moved to Cambria, Niagara County, New York.  He received his rudimentary education in the district schools, adding at the age of 19, a course in mathematics and surveying in the Academy at Warsaw, New Jersey.
    After teaching a while he moved to Wisconsin where he worked at the carpenter’s trade with an uncle who was one of the early settlers of that section of the state and who died, leaving his family in an almost destitute condition. Haughton was determined to see them cared for and to provide the means to educate the children.  To gain these funds quickly, he crossed the Plains in the year 1851 with the wagon train in quest of the gold fields of California. They were six months enroute and encountered all the hardships that usually characterized that phase of pioneer life. The incompetency of the party in charge of the train led to a division of forces and the doctor with two others left it and completed the journey alone on foot, depending only on their rifles for food, and reaching Salt Lake after suffering from hunger, two weeks in advance of the train.
   Arriving in California Haughton followed surveying for a time, but finally decided that working in the mines was the quickest way of acquiring the means he sought.  He worked until the year 1855 with moderate success. Failing health from the toil and hardships of life in the mines forced him to write to his parents that he would return to New York by water, naming as the day for him to start, the very day in which the ill – fated Central America set sail from San Francisco. Upon the news of the appalling disaster that sent that vessel to the bottom of the sea, his parents eagerly scanned a list of the saved, and seeing the name of a Mrs. Haughton designated as the survivor and wife of Mr. Haughton who was lost, they gave up their son as dead.
    But owing to the failure of the party who purchased his interest in the mines to make the payment as agreed upon, Haughton was detained at San Francisco until the Central America had sailed. He took passage upon the next steamer and unannounced made his appearance at home to the joyful surprise of his parents who had mourned him.  He devoted most of his earnings in California to the benevolent purpose for which he sought them, the relief of his uncle’s family.
    Suffering from a disease of the heart brought on by overexertion in the mines, Haughton took up the study of medicine that related to his malady and entered the Buffalo Medical School where he graduated in February 1862, his thesis gaining honorable mention in a very large and brilliant graduating class. He then located in Tonawanda, New York, where he began his practice. In 1867, he moved to Hamilton, Ohio, and entered into partnership with an uncle, Dr. Stephen H. Potter, the founder of two medical schools and editor of different medical journals.
    In the year 1870 he moved to Russellville, Illinois becoming a member of the Christian church there on October 23 in the same year. In the winter of 1872–3 he moved to Oaktown, Indiana, engaging in the mercantile business at first, but soon leaving that for the more congenial pursuit of his chosen profession that he followed with great success until failing health induced him to move to a farm he owned near Russellville
     After a time, Haughton resumed the practice of medicine in Oaktown, but was unable to continue very long on account of failing health. Receiving a temporary benefit from a short stay in the South, he took up the practice of medicine again in Oaktown, but he was soon compelled to give up by failing health.

    As a last hope of regaining his health he was persuaded by his friends to again try the climate of California, where for a time he seemed to improve, but soon grew so much worse that he was compelled to return home, well knowing that it was only to die among his friends and family. He was married to Miss Pamela P Locke on May 26, 1854 who survives him and leaves a large family of children to mourn his loss.