Thursday, June 22, 2017

More News of Local Boys in WWII 1943

Bridgeport Leader September 30, 1943
News of World War II

Seaman LeGout has a new address as follows: V. W. LeGout S 2 – c, Co. 1129 G. M. S., Newport, Rhode Island.

Wilbur ‘Rusty’ Sievert S 1 – c, of the U.S. Navy, is home after some 22 months absence. He is where Wilbur attended grade school. Rusty as he is better known enlisted in the Navy under the required age and has been active in the Pacific war theater for the past 14 months engaging in four battles it was reported. He has suffered the loss of a ship from under him in battle and frankly states that he does not care for any more such adventure. He is to report to Newport Rhode Island after his furlough.

Mr. and Mrs. L. H. Kincaid, of Millerville, have received word from their son Lieut. Marvin M Kincaid informing them of his advancement to the rank of First Lieut. He has been in North Africa in an ordinance company for the past several months and is enjoying his work in spite of the hot temperatures he states.

A – C  Floyd E. Reisinger, son of Mr. and Mrs. Earl Reisinger has recently been transferred from Edmond, Oklahoma to Athens, Georgia. The 11 high students in his class were transferred and Floyd was fifth high. His address is U. S. N. P. F. S. Hornet Bks, Battalion 34, Company G, Platoon 3B, Athens Georgia

Mr. and Mrs. Charles Hawley have two sons in service. Private Charles Hawley was inducted March 12, 1943 and has arrived in North Africa. The other son Edward is located at Fort Lewis, Washington.
Mr. and Mrs. Charles Daugherty are in receipt of several articles sent to them from their son Harold in North Africa. He entered service on December 19, 1942 and landed in North Africa this year in the early spring.

Private Robert Ray Pond is now stationed at San Francisco, California.

Cpl. Roy Osenbaugh, of Camp Carson, Colorado, broke the second toe on his right foot recently while on duty in camp.

Pfc. Paul Potts, of M. P. Infantry, San Francisco California, son of Mr. and Mrs. Enoch Potts, returned Tuesday to his post after a 15 day furlough in San Francisco with his parents. This was Paul’s first furlough since his induction into the Army over a year ago.