Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Unit #20 Elementary Schools prior to 2002

 When Parkside Elementary School was built and opened for the 2002-2003 school year, the Unit #20 School Board published the following photographs and information about the previous four schools that had been used.

Arlington School, (1909-2002), located near the National Guard Armory, was used for all first and second grade students in Unit #20.  Arlington's principal, Judy Phipps, was selected to head Parkside Elementary when it opened in 2002.

Central School, (1914-2002), also known as  New Central, was used for Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten.  Central Principal, Tonya Pauley, retired with the building.

 Lindoln School, 1921-2002, directly adjacent to Central School on the same block, left a legacy of PTO Cake Bingos and Patriotic Assembles.  Principal, Tom Harstad, assumed the position of Assistant Principal of Parkside Elementray.

 Brookside School, 1958-2002, built after a tornado destroyed the school at Pinkstaff, served the Unit #20 community well.

Parkside Elementary school (part of Unit #20) opened for the 2002-2003 school year with 650 students in Pre K-5th grades.  A DVD was produced and made available for purchase. Advertised as 120 minutes of incredible digital video footage, music, and stills of events such as the first day of school, open house, homecoming parade, special programs and a whole lot more, it could be purchased for $39.  Does anyone have one of those that they would be willing to donate to our school archive?  If anyone digitized it, we would even show it in our movie theatre.