Tuesday, February 21, 2017

St Francisville News

The Vincennes Morning Commercial
Wall Style phone, multi-line with
hold and intercom lines--
have you seen this phone?
 November 3, 1911 
Items of Interest Concerning Persons and Events in and about St. Francisville 

A large crowd attended the Union Meeting held at the ME Church Sunday night. Mrs. Sarah Smith and daughter, Irene, left Tuesday to attend her son Lee’s wedding, which took place at Seymour Indiana, Wednesday evening at 6 o’clock. William Highfield and wife visited with relatives at Bone Gap, Illinois, Sunday. Several from here attended the Gillespie-– Smith wedding at the home of William  Bys in the country on Thursday evening. The businessmen have decided on 28 December to raffle off the automobile which they are giving away.

School was dismissed half a day Monday owing to the breaking of the pump. John Perry has sold his home in the western part of the city to Mr. Glenn for $1750. Callie Winkler is spending a few days in Arkansas visiting the country. J M Perry and family will soon leave for Texas to live, in hopes the change will be a benefit to his wife’s health. Dr. Brian and Wesley Shroyer returned Friday from a 10 day hunting trip in Arkansas. Miss Ida Whiteman after a lingering illness of paralysis died Friday at 3 PM. The funeral service was preached by Rev. Bogard at the UB Church. Burial took place in the Oak lawn Cemetery Sunday afternoon. 

The basketball team came down from Hudsonville, Illinois and played St. Francisville’s team Saturday afternoon but were defeated in both games. E H McKelfresh and bride, after a few days wedding trip have returned to his place and gone to housekeeping in one of C L Lewis’ residences in the south part of the city. Quite a crowd of  young people attended the pie supper given by Miss Margaret Black, teacher at the Liberty schoolhouse, 4 miles in the country, Friday night. 

The young people gave John Perry, Jr. a Halloween party Tuesday evening. A. Siegel having purchased the William Hickman residence in the northern part of the city, has moved with his family from the country. Andy Scott has returned to St. Louis, Thursday night, after spending his furlough from the regular Army with his mother here. Sharon Highsmith returned home Saturday from three years’ service as a musician in the regular Army.