Friday, December 30, 2016

Letter by Thomas H Seed, Civil War Vet

Letter by Thomas H. Seed, published in the 4 Feb 1909 edition of the Lawrenceville Republican:
EDITOR REPUBLICAN.  I have been disappointed not a little lately in reading the notices of the deaths of W. J. Akin and H. A. Clubb, that no mention whatever is made that both men volunteered in the first company which went out of Lawrence county in April 1861, under Capt. Dan Grass and served in the 8th Ills, under Dick Oglesby as colonel.  When the fact is taken into consideration that Capt. Dan Grass tendered the first company to Governor Yates, after Fort Sumter was fired on, I think it quite an honor to Lawrence county to have served in that company.  

There were 115 men who went to Springfield, 11 of them were cut off and went into the 7th Ills.  There may be others, but just now I can only call to mind W. H. H. Mieure of Lawrenceville, O. M. Clubb and Dan Petty, of Sumner, who survive.  As the pay of a soldier at that time was only $6.00 per month, it cannot be said they volunteered for money In the case of W. J. Akin, who after his three months service, reenlisted in Co. G, 11th Mo.  Lawrence county had three companies in that regiment, which was among the 300 regiments who sustained the heaviest loss in battle during the war. 

In the notice of H. A. Clubb there are several errors and omissions.  His name is not Henry Anton Clubb, but Henry Anton [?] Clubb, his mother was Kate Anton [?], a step-daughter of John B. Maxwell.  Henry volunteered three times in the army instead of once.  First three months in ’61, under Capt. Grass, 100 days in ’62 under J. D. Sage, when he bore the rank of lieutenant, and again for 3 years in ’64, in an Illinois cavalry regiment.  I do not know the number, but that he saw severe service, principally in Mississippi, for over a year and severely wounded in one of the battles in which his regiment was engaged. 

 I was not in the Capt. Grass company in ’61, for the reason that I was just recovering from a two months siege of typhoid fever.  The day they left town was the first I was out of the house for over two months.  I never met Henry Clubb while in the army for in ’63 my regiment was sent from Vicksburg under Sherman to Chattanooga and never returned west.  Continued with Sherman’s army until the end of the unpleasantness.

Yours truly, 

T. H. Seed, Mt. Vernon, Illinois

(Ed. Note:  Tomorrow John King will annotate this letter for the readers.)