Friday, February 5, 2016

Channel Cat Tales: The Rivers Claim More Lives

Channel Cat Tales
This weekly post features a story or stories  about how Water has affected Lawrence County. This time it about all the lives the rivers have claimed. 

Westport Correspondence: While a few women and children were bathing in the river a few miles below town Saturday afternoon an orphan girl by the name of Pearl Howe eleven years old got in deep water while trying to get a parasol which had blown into the river and was drowned. The body was not recovered until 7 p. m., three hours after the accident. George Groves, after diving several times got hold of the body and brought it to the bank. The burial took place at Charlottesville, Sunday afternoon.

The people of Billett and vicinity were shocked Saturday morning over the sudden disappearance of Mrs. Millard Lawrence. She disappeared about 9 o’clock after considerable search, portions of her clothing were found on the river bank at what is known as the Cassel bend. The river was searched and around 2 o’clock the body was found about three fourths of a mile from her residence.
She was 40 years of age and has a family and children and expected the birth of another in not too distant future. Her husband had been in Vincennes that morning. The coroner was summoned and an inquest held.  At that time nothing developed save that she had at times seemed slightly demented and threatened to take her life.  It is supposed that the deed was done under an attack of this kind.


The body of Elmer Shaw was found floating in the Wabash river near the gas plant in Vincennes Thursday  He had been missing since the Sunday previous when he was seen walking on the railroad track toward Lawrenceville.  Burial was made in White House cemetery. 

S. N. Drybread drowned in the Embarras river near the Eli Jones farm, northwest of this city, Sunday afternoon about four o’clock. The body was recovered about midnight. With a party of Lawrenceville men the deceased had gone to the Jones farm for a squirrel fry and while Mr. Jones was preparing the meal the crowd from Lawrenceville went to the river for a swim. Mr. Drybread was caught in an eddy when about half way across the river and sank before help could reach him. He came to this city about two years ago and was superintendent of the light and water plant until last spring. He was about 36 years old and leaves a mother, two brothers and three sisters. The body was taken to Franklin Indiana for burial.

This city was shocked Sunday by the accidental drowning of Ray Adams, 27 years of age. He with a party of friends was at the swimming hole in the river just above the cemetery. Three of his companions and he were swimming across the river when within six feet of the opposite side he sank and drowned. Whether he was exhausted or seized with cramps is not known.  His body was recovered and removed to Couch Morgue where it was prepared for burial. Monday morning John Adams, brother to the deceased, left with the body for their home in Woodfield, Ohio.
 John and Ray came here six months ago from Ohio. John is at present, proprietor of the Lawrenceville Amusement parlor. Ray was a rig builder with W.A. Cunningham.