Friday, December 11, 2015

Floods in the mid-1800's





Ed Note:  I have been receiving reports  that the blog is not being posted to your emails, until morning. Peeviously it had arrived late "before you went to bed."  I don't know why this is happening.  I actually have the blogs posted to be sent at 4:30 pm every day and it was always a mystery to me why they arrived at 10:30 pm anyway.  Now that they are arriving at 9:30 am, I am even more mystified.  So I am going to reprogram to send them at Noon. Please let me know when you receive them now, and hopefully we can work this out.  



Floods during the Civil War Era ain Lawrence County


The Weekly Vincennes Western Sun Saturday Morning April 4, 1863
Another flood
The recent rains have caused a heavy rise in the River at this point, and yesterday the water was within 18 inches of the great flood of March 1858. The levee below town has not given way, and the damage has not been extensive, though the prairies and low – lands south of us are completely inundated. The water came to a stand yesterday afternoon and is now slowly receding, having fallen about 2 inches up to 10 o'clock this morning.

Allison Prairie in Illinois, is also covered with water, in some places to the depth of several feet, and the whole face of the country west of us, as far as the eye can reach, is a vast sheet of water.