The history of the Bridgeport Methodist Episcopal church began in October 1861 under the leadership of J.C. Pierce. There were seven charter members including J. C. Pierce, Mr. and Mrs. Newstetter, Dr. and Mrs. Martin, Mrs. Nora Duncan and another of which there is no record. For about nine months this small group met for services in homes in various places until the first church building was completed in the summer of 1862.
The first church building was a modest, one – room, frame structure built mostly by volunteer labor. This original building was located two blocks west and one block south of the present site. This structure served the small but growing congregation well for 36 years having been remodeled, improved and repaired to meet the growing needs of the congregation in 1882.
In 1898 the church was relocated and rebuilt on the present site of Third and Main streets. This new building was a handsome improvement in the community, and reflected progress and faith in the future by the congregation. It had a seating capacity of around 400. It consisted of an auditorium 31' x 52' and had one large classroom 24 x 32'. The height of the tower with 72 foot, and the cost of the building was $3700.
Don't forget the picnic at Bridgeport Lanterman Park Sunday August 24 4:00 Bring a covered Dish!