Bridgeport leader March 6, 1986 Smoke can be seen in the top photo below pouring from the South side of the Sivert –Macey Funeral Home on S. Christy Ave. in Sumner Monday evening as firemen battled the blaze that extensively damaged the kitchen and upstairs living area.
The alarm was sounded a little before 10 AM with the Christy Fire Protection District responding. Mutual aid in the form of water tankers and manpower was forthcoming from Bridgeport, Olney, Lawrence – Allison, Denison and the CFPD station located in Chauncey. The fire departments of Robinson and Albion, with offers of help if needed, remained on stand – by status.
The fire was thought to have started in the kitchen from an electrical short. The living quarters were occupied by the John Schemerhorn family, and there was no one at home when the fire was reported. There was also no injuries reported. It took firemen about 2 1/2 hours to bring the fire under control.
Mike Macy of the Sivert - Macey Funeral Home stated that plans were being made to find temporary facilities for the business until the rebuilding and remodeling is completed at the same site in Sumner.