Lawrence County News
November 8, 1934
Walnut Tree Planted
A walnut tree grown from a walnut produced on George Washington's Homestead was planted on the courthouse lawn Saturday morning. Mrs. J. O. Klingler, regent of the local Daughters of the American Revolution, was in charge of the ceremony in connection with the planting of the tree. Girl and Boy Scout troops had a part in the ceremony.
The nut was planted by Mrs. Elva Edwards, chairman of the Conservation and Thrift Committee of the D. A. R., who cared for the tree until it was in shape to be transplanted. It will be known as the "Ferry Tree" in honor of George Washington's boyhood home, Ferry Farm.
(George Washington’s boyhood home was called by the family, the Home Farm, but later became known as Ferry Farm because people crossed the Rappahannock River on a ferry from the farm to the town of Fredericksburg. The Washington family did not own or operate the ferry but used it frequently to get to and from town.)