Thursday, August 8, 2013

Summary of News in Fall of 1905-- Sumner

Excerpts taken from the Sumner Press in 1905--the year before the Oil Strike and the population exploded:  
  • Sept 7. 1905 Combs Brothers,  later succeeded by H F Combs, in the grain, lumber and implement business filed for bankruptcy
  • Sept 21, 1905 Construction of Stone sidewalk  on South Avenue, Jones Street and Dubois Avenue City council paid H T Jennings $ 12 for mowing the cemetery.
  • October 26, 1905 Barnes store was selling 21 pounds of light brown sugar for one dollar. Yarn was seven cents a pound at Gochenours.  Westall Brothers was selling 20 pounds of granulated sugar for a dollar. Another load of stone was unloaded for sidewalks. Two carloads of livestock and  several cars of hogs were shipped from Sumner markets.  J. W. Westall shipped two carloads of old iron: one load went to South Bend and the other to Cleveland.  A. L. Williams was night operator for the B&O. Through the B. L. Cunningham & Real Estate Agency, J. E. Polly, of Lafayette Indiana, sold his 80 acre tract of land, East of Ed Davis’s farm to Mark Mushrush.
  • November 2, 1905 Bids were taken for the repair of the courthouse roof

  • November 16, 1905 The supervisors met at the new County Hospital  to contract for an engine, pump and  lights. Mrs. Jenny Childress formerly Jenny Berry of Bridgeport presented her husband with three girl babies all apparently healthy and well developed. One died later. Two who were still living gave every promise of developing into lively children.The mother was reported doing well. 

    November 23, 1905 in accordance with the proclamation of Pres. Roosevelt setting aside Thursday, November 30 as a day of general Thanksgiving, Jesse P. Jones, Mayor of Sumner ,respectfully asked all business houses in the city to be closed on that day between the hours of 10 and 2 o'clock.

    A monument marking the site of old Fort Sackville inVincennes was unveiled  Saturday afternoon with appropriate ceremonies. The following inscription was on the shaft which was 6 foot high, three-foot wide and 2 foot thick placed on a carved base:  "Site of Fort Sackville captured by Col. George Rogers Clark from the British February 25, 1779. Resulting in the US acquiring the great Northwest territory, embracing the states of Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota"

    Secretary of War Taft was on the train No. One westbound Saturday afternoon. The secretary was sitting in a large window near the rear of the car and was seen by a number of our citizens. 

    November 30,1905  A public bankruptcy sale was to be held on the premises of H. F. Combs, December 2, 1905.  The  property included one lot of lumber, sash, doors and other building material, one lot of building blocks, to carriages, one wheat drill, plows and miscellaneous farm implements.

    December 14, 1905 the Lawrence County Medical Society met at City Hall in Lawrenceville. Meetings were held quarterly and  physicians read and discussed papers on various subjects pertaining to the practice of medicine, surgery and gynecology. Dr. B. F. Hockman is president with Dr. J. B. Bryant as secretary-treasurer

    Dec 28, 1905 Sumner Lodge No 334 AF &AM elected the following officers:  E H Carter W M, Wm.  Dunphy S. W., D. C.  Staninger, J. W., W. S. Hoopes, Treasurer, G. R. Stout, Secretary.

    (And what would the Season be without the office Christmas Party?) The Postmaster entertained the post office employees, RFD carriers and wives.  Supper was served by Misses Pansy and Edna Culbertson and games of Flinch were enjoyed.  Music was provided by Misses Culbertson.  Those present were Mr and Mrs Culbertson and family, Miss Myrtle Piper, asst post mistress, Carriers W R Travis, P C Petty and JC Shick and wives, Shelby Piper, and A.C. Freese, substitute and Post office  master.  Carrier Bartram sent regrets stating he was unable to attend on account of sickness.