Lawrence County News April 30, 1959 The New Moose Home is one of which the members may justly be proud. It is constructed of stone, and was designed and built by Doyle Bros. Contractors, Inc. of Washington, IN. Construction was completed June, 1958, and quarters were moved into on July 1, 1958. Several items on the interior were all completed in February, 1959.
The ground was purchased from Mrs. Charles P Gore. Present officers are C. W. Hooker, Gov.; Edwin Johnson, Past Gov.; William Wilkes, Junior Gov.; Norman Lynch, Prelate; Barton E. Mickey, treasurer; John Jordan, Henry Hunt, Herbert F. Clark, Trustees; Lyle E. Cochran, Sec.; John Fraser, Sgt-.At-Arms; Harley Lee, Inner Guard; Omer Stevens, Outer Guard.
A brief history of the Lawrenceville Lodge reveals its organization was made in the Fitch building on October 20, 1911 with a membership of 48. T. J. Spychalski and Correy James are the only members in good standing of the five charter members still living.
Some of the early officers were William Cunningham, William Ferrenburg, Leo Jackson, G. T. Norton, and Joe Richards. Past governors still living: H. F. Clark, Edwin Johnson, C. W. Wolfe, Willis B. Moore, Harold Pemberton, Leon Fesperman, T. J. Spychalski, Wayne Hghsmith, Barton E. Mickey, C. W. Hooker, William F. Cunningham, and John Robbins.
Since its beginning the order has called several locations home. Among these have been the Fitch building, Busse building, and the Stoltz – Childress building. The move into the new home was made from this Stoltz – Childress building at 1216 State Street, where quarters had been maintained for a number of years.
The institution of Lawrenceville Chapter No. 162, Women of the Moose, occurred on December 27, 1916, when 27 charter members were initiated. This group was then known as the Women's Loyal Mutual Circle, Lodge No.162. Only two charter members are in good standing in the chapter and are still living, namely, Nancy Tillery Abernathy of Lawrenceville, and Pearl Williams Bradford Hooker of Aileen, Texas.
First officers included Clara Baldwin, Elizabeth Akers, Hattie Mann , Flora Graves, Kate Kogan, Laura Bundy, Mary Ward, and Laura Swarens. The name of the women's organization was changed to Women of the Mooseheart Legion, then in 1933 the Loyal Order of Moose accepted the women's group as their auxiliary and the name was changed to Women of the Moose.
Present officers are Junior Graduate Regent, Lois Becktell; Senior Regent, Maxine Clark; Junior Regent, Dorothy Wilkes; Chaplain Eva Griffy; Recorder, Bernice Jordan; Treas., Lucille Stone; Guide, Zelda Johnson; Assistant Guide, Alice Crouch; Sentinel, Oneta Deloriea; Argus, Lucille Brooks; Pianist, Iris Highsmith.
Cemetery tour on Sunday....if it is raining by 11:00 we will attempt to call everyone who purchased a ticket to reschedule for May 19. Keep your fingers crossed for only clouds.....